1.20 – The other (higher samadhi) is preceded by faith, energy, memories of previous samadhi experiences, and intuitive insight.
श्रद्धावीर्यस्मृतिसमाधिप्रज्ञापूर्वक इतरेषाम् ॥२०॥
shraddha virya smriti samadhi prajna purvakah itaresham
- shraddha – faith; trust; belief
- virya – energy; vigor; virility; potency
- smriti – memory; recollection; remembrance
- samadhi – unity consciousness; union of subject and object; bringing together; deep absorption
- prajna – wisdom; intuitive insight
- purvakah – prior; previous; former time; preceded by
- itaresham – other
As our yoga training progresses, and we learn to immerse ourselves again and again in the experience of the Self, we gain momentum. We know the practice is working because we experience its fruits in our daily lives.
Doubt gives way to faith. Boredom and apathy yield to energy and enthusiasm. And the memories of expansive freedom we encountered in past samadhi experiences create the desire for future ones.
Throughout all this, we receive flashes of intuitive insights that guide us onward. Lower states of samadhi become more frequent. Eventually, we transcend them, break through all the illusions of limitations, and become aware of Awareness Itself.